For many, auto insurance is very expensive. Whether it’s because of an imperfect driving record, flawed credit history or simply because the driver is young, the costs can quickly add up. However, there is good news and better news. The good news is that there are several ways in which you can work toward discount car insurance rates. The better news is that this article will show you how. Below are several tips for getting yourself on the road to discount auto insurance.
– If you are a minor who has either a learner’s permit or driver’s license, enroll in a driver’s education class if offered at your high school. Upon successful completion of the course, many auto insurance companies will reduce your auto insurance rates. In addition, keeping your grades high, usually at a B average or better, may result in discount auto insurance as an incentive to keep learning. If you are the parent of a minor, making sure that your child follows these steps may help to lower your auto insurance rates.
– When purchasing your next automobile, choose wisely. An SUV or sports car will carry a higher insurance premium, as will a new vehicle. If you want to save some money on your auto insurance rates, choosing a standard automobile may help you to achieve lower rates. Additionally, purchasing a used car will almost always result in cheap auto insurance when compared to that required for a new vehicle.
– Drive safely. Always make sure that you drive under the speed limit because even a traffic ticket can cause your auto insurance rates to increase. Always make sure to wear your seatbelt and take proper care when driving on slippery roads. Studies have shown that most accidents occur close to home, so always remain alert and attentive until your car is parked safely in the driveway.
– If at all possible, pay for your automobile in cash. When you finance a vehicle, the lender requires that you carry complete auto insurance coverage. If you pay in cash, you may be able to reduce your auto insurance costs by only purchasing that which is required by law and not excessive coverage that some lenders may impose.
– Shop around. One of the best ways to get discount auto insurance is to simply request free auto insurance quotes from different companies and choose the one that can offer you the best value for your dollar.
– Keep your credit history in good shape. Believe it or not, your credit history may greatly impact your auto insurance rates. Agents often check credit reports and, if you have badly damaged credit, you may end up paying more even if you have a clean driving record. The best way to clean up your credit report is to check the information yourself and dispute any inaccuracies with the reporting agency.
The information in this article is designed to be used for reference purposes only. It should not be used as, in place of or in conjunction with professional financial or insurance advice relating to auto insurance quotes, discount auto insurance or auto insurance rates. For additional information or to receive an auto insurance quote, contact a local auto insurance company.